Re-imagining Symposium 2017
Posted: 8 March 2017
Author: Pat Halewich, Community Learning Network
Each year our Symposium Planning Committee begins developing an agenda we hope will best support the training and professional development needs of CALP staff at our annual face-to-face event!
We take the following into consideration:
- Evaluation of past events
- Practitioner recommendations
- Regional asset mapping
- Awareness of current trends
- New initiatives in field
- New or innovative research projects
- Suggestions from the CALP Professional Development Advisory Committee (PDAC)
We work diligently to keep our collective finger on the pulse of the CALP system.
You imagined it, we heard you, and you will see it at Symposium 2017…
- More one-day and two-day training opportunities!
- More half-day professional development sessions to delve further into a topic area!
- More opportunities to connect, share and learn from each other and to build communities of practice!
We are excited to launch a re-imagined Literacy & Learning Symposium 2017 and here’s what you can look forward to attending during the five days:
- Two full training days on Monday and Tuesday offering 12 session options!
- A full day dedicated to building communities of practice! Join us on Wednesday for:
- NEW* Conversation Cafés – Informal, guided networking sessions based on the role/s you play in your organization: New CALP Staff, Operations/Admin Staff, Program Staff, Senior Staff and Board Members.
- Opening Keynote featuring Drew Hayden Taylor, an award winning playwright, novelist, journalist and filmmaker, on the topic, “Whacking the Indigenous Funny Bone: Exploring the growth of humour in First Nations literature”.
- Regional Connection Sessions - Kick the Symposium off right with this opportunity to connect and reconnect with your friends and colleagues from your Region. This structured networking session will be led by the CALP system’s Regional Support Staff and Grant Managers from Advanced Education.
- NEW* Birds of a Feather Sessions - Gravitate to CALP-led, themed session rooms with a variety of topics of interest to chat. Connecting and sharing experiences, whether we are experts or just curious about the topic, can lead to interesting conversations and introduce us to new ideas – and new colleagues.
- CLN’s 30th AGM and Anniversary Social - Please join us for our annual general meeting and as we come together to reflect on the past year, share our plans for the future and celebrate our members’ dedication to the field through recognition of individuals who have given exceptional years of service to the Community Adult Learning Program. Our AGM will be followed by a Social, in honour of CLN’s 30th Anniversary!
- A day dedicated to professional development opportunities and celebrating our achievements! Join us on Thursday for:
- Four tracks of professional development sessions including 80-90-minute and half-day breakout sessions.
- The annual Literacy & Learning Awards Banquet evening, featuring an Adult Learner Speaker and the celebration of the achievements of the 2017 award winners.
- A final half-day to close out Symposium and leave us refreshed, rejuvenated, inspired and ready for the 2017-2018 CALP program year. Join us on Friday for:
- NEW* Meet-the-Expert Sessions - Round out your Symposium experience with practical working sessions focused on issues your organizations face and the solutions you can apply. Meet, learn from and consult with the “Experts” in your choice of up to 15 topics.
- Closing Keynote featuring Dr. Phil McRae, an Executive Staff Officer with the Alberta Teachers’ Association and an Adjunct Professor within the Faculty of Education at the University of Alberta where he earned his Ph.D.
We are very excited to bring you Literacy & Learning Symposium 2017 and look forward to seeing you the week of September 25 – 29th , 2017 at the DoubleTree by Hilton in Edmonton!
Registration is now open at: https://www.calp.ca/symposium/registration/registration.html
Community Learning Network
Sign in to view 0 comments