Telephones: then and now
In 1884, there were two telephones in Alberta. Now almost every home in Alberta has a telephone.
How have phones changed since 1884? Here are some photos.
- About 1906: These linesmen are putting up telephone poles.
- 1920s: A linesman at work
- About 1910: A doctor on the phone
- 1919: An operator at a switchboard
Did you know?
- In the early 1900s, many telephone poles and lines went up in Alberta.
- In the 1930s, people in Alberta began to make calls across the country.
1940s to 1980s
- About 1940: A clerk on the phone
- 1955: A man on a car phone
- Many people have phones with landlines. Landlines use telephone lines and special cables.
- People can also talk to each other on satellite phones and on the Internet.