Language Experience Approach
Familiar text and story encourage readers to focus on comprehension instead of decoding.
- Have the reader tell you about a topic
- Write down the reader's exact words
- Share the text with the reader when finished
- Ask the reader if they would like to change anything
- Read it over with the reader several times, encouraging them to join in (or take over) at any point
Language Experience Approach from ESL Literacy Readers Bow Valley College
Expand on the Language Experience Approach by asking readers to put a story (or sequence of events) in order using their own words. Literacy Minnesota suggests using Picture Stories.