A customized collection of words that a reader encounters in their everyday life helps extend and expand their existing vocabulary.
- Label a page with a letter of the alphabet
- Choose words that are meaningful to the reader
- Make connections to existing vocabulary and background knowledge
- Include the correct spelling and pronunciation
- Use the new word in a sentence
- Add a diagram or picture for visual learners
Note: it will be easier to add pages alphabetically to a personal dictionary that is stored in a binder or digital device.
Create a template for readers to use when adding to their personal dictionary. Add photos to create a visual or picture dictionary.