ESL Practitioners Study Group: ATESL Best Practices
Region(s): North, West Central, East Central, Central, South, Edmonton (ECALA funded), Calgary (Calgary Learns funded), Other (I am not part of a CALP-funded organization)
The Alberta Teachers of English as a Second Language (ATESL) outlines statements of Best Practice for teachers of adult English language learners (ELLs). In this Rural Routes online study group, you will be able to connect with other tutors and instructors to discuss these best practices and gather ideas and solutions to address issues related to your particular language teaching context. Topics will include best practices for fostering inclusion and engagement, creating meaningful tasks, and teaching the 4 skills of listening, speaking, reading, and writing. Join us for 5 Mondays and connect with other ESL tutors and instructors in Alberta!
- Week 1 (Jan 16): Fostering a supportive community in which learners feel comfortable, included and engage in purposeful learning
- Week 2 (Jan 23): Making instruction guided and responsive to the needs and goals of the learners
- Week 3 (Jan 30): Making lesson content meaningful, appealing and engaging, with a transparent connection to the learners’ real‐world needs and future goals
- Week 4 (Feb 06): Listening and reading: helping learners identify and practice skills and strategies to access the content and to accomplish meaningful, real-life tasks
- Week 5 (Feb 13): Speaking and writing: balancing learner fluency and accuracy, along with the opportunity to practice and incorporate feedback
To register: https://forms.office.com/r/RYt1RZtaT2
Please note that there is limited space! We suggest registering as soon as possible.