Areas and grounds go together
Sybil was discriminated against in the area of tenancy. The ground is source of income.
- I am a single parent. My sons are 3 and 5 years old.
I am unemployed. I get income support (welfare) from the government. The money will help me until I get a new job.
- Recently, my landlord told me, “I don’t want people on welfare here. Find a job or get out.”
I was upset. I always pay my rent on time. I am a good tenant.
- Then my landlord gave me a letter. It says I have to move out of my apartment in 3 months.
- My sister told me to call the Alberta Human Rights and Citizenship Commission.
- I called the Commission. I talked to a human rights officer.
- I learned about my rights.
- Later, I talked to my landlord. He still says that I have to leave. I’m going to make a complaint.
You will read about complaints under “How to make a complaint.”